Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Matronalia 2016

Today is the Roman holiday Matronalia. A day dedicated to mother goddesses and motherhood. A fitting day for an observance in honor of the Matrones. Goddesses or deep past ancestresses, I do not know, but I'll remember them with candles and offerings tonight. I'll remember my maternal line too.

The timing of Matronalia is probably not a coincidence. The most auspicious time for a Roman wedding was Juno's month, so most Romans got married in June. (A tradition that's still in effect, though, most probably don't know why. Who hasn't heard someone talk about "a June wedding" as though it was more significant than just nice weather?) Counting forward from June, Matronalia occurs at that time of year when the new Roman bride, married in June, might be just about to deliver her "honeymoon baby".

Matronalia turned into "Mothering Sunday", the fourth Sunday in Lent, which is still celebrated in honor of the Virgin Mary and mothers in many parts of Europe.

Photo by Siren-Com, CC-Attribution-ShareAlike

A modern woman might laugh at this association. Married in June, due by March? More like due by March 2020. But I'm going to light a candle to the Matrones tonight. To Danu, to Nantosuelta, to Rosmerta. To goddesses of plenty and abundance. To mothers. Maybe I will join their ranks one day. But tonight I give to them so that they may give to me.

And who knows the deep desire of your heart better than a mother?


No comments:

Post a Comment