Friday, February 19, 2016

Imbolc Ritual 2016 (Dedicant Path Essay)

I'm late writing about my Imbolc ritual, but partly because I needed time to take things in. I did an unusually complex ritual, with multiple offerings to each being involved, and a major working, which is unusual for me, because I don't do a lot of direct spellwork as part of my regular practice.

I did a full COOR rite, honoring Danu as the Earthmother/the Kennebec River, Nemetona as Gatekeeper, the ancestors, nature spirits, and deities generally. My great grandmother A., my grandfather D. and my childhood friend J. were special guests of honor. In my Samhain ritual I had pledged to leave candles in honor of those three on my altar until Imbolc as an offering, because their shrine went up later than I had promised when we moved in and I was seeking to make amends for that. So at Imbolc I lit their candles that had stayed in the place of honor since Samhain and let them burn to nothing.

The primary deity honored was Brighid, and I offered to her resin incense on the fire, and a shot of Celtic Honey (Irish Whiskey flavored with honey) into the well. The prayer to her was not original, but I did compose for her a short poem in a new style I have been practicing, and that was also a devotional offering.

Wildwood Tarot: 10 of Bows, 5 of Arrows, the Shaman

For an omen I used the Wildwood Tarot. I drew the Ten of Bows (Responsibility) for the ancestors, which I interpreted to mean that they were pleased I had kept my vow regarding the shrine and its candles. For the ancestors I drew the Five of Arrows (Frustration), I found this apt, I am frustrated with my relationship with the spirits in our new home. I rather imagine they are also frustrated with me. We aren't connecting and a change needs to be made. I don't know what it is though.  For the deities I drew the Shaman. The only major arcana card I drew in this omen, and a big one. The Shaman is the Wildwood's magician, but with a more strongly religious bent, he stands for deep work, commitment, and new journeys. I interpret this as an acceptance of my offerings and a push for more.

It's a responsibility I hope I can fulfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment